Should I stop the person with dementia from leaving the house?
If a person with dementia wants to walk then you should try to find a solution that lets them do so safely.
Tips: limiting the risks
- If there is a garden, consider making it secure so that the person can walk outside safely. Having a circular path with points of interest, such as bird feeders and garden ornaments, can make the experience more enjoyable for the person.
- If the person is determined to leave, try not to confront them, as this could be upsetting. Try to get them to put on appropriate clothing (e.g. outdoor shoes and a coat) and accompany them a little way and then divert their attention so that you can both return.
- Make sure the person carries some form of identification or the name and phone number of someone who can be contacted if they get lost. You could sew this into a jacket or a handbag so that it is not easily removed. Consider identification bracelets.
- If the person uses a mobile phone, ensure that the phone number of the primary carer is stored in it and is easily accessible. If the mobile phone is switched on it may be possible to trace the person if they go missing.
- Tell local shopkeepers and neighbours about the person's dementia and give them your contact details – they may be able to keep a look out.
- If the person is in day care, respite residential care or long-term care, tell the staff about their walking habits and ask about the policy of the home.
This engraved silver bar chain bracelet with a sterling silver pendant can become anything you want it to be—a meaningful gift, a sleek accessory for yourself, or part of a unique minimalistic jewelry collection.
- Sterling silver (AG-925) pendant and chain with coating 18K rose gold
- Nickel-free pendant, chain, and coating
- Pendant size: 0.28'' x 1.22'' (7 x 31 mm)
- Pendant thickness: 0.02'' (0.5 mm)
- Pendant is connected to the chain with open jump rings
- Spring ring clasp closure
- Packed in a black leatherette-covered box with a magnetic closure and cloth inlay
- Weight: 0.1kg
|Pendant length (cm)||3||3|
|Chain length (cm)||15||18|
When place order, kindly indicate in the 'Note' with maximum 16 personalised characters including spacing.
Shipping (6-14 business days after fulfillment)