Do's and Don't of using Oxygen Therapy
What is oxygen therapy?
It is process of administering oxygen at concentrations greater than that in room air to treat or prevent hypoxia.
Type of Oxygen
- Oxygen cylinder tank
- Oxygen Concentrator
Different between using oxygen cylinders and concentrators
|Oxygen tank||Oxygen concentrator|
|Flowrate||1-15L/ml||1-5L/min (standard unit), 10L/min is available|
|Power||None required||Requires electricity source (plug). There is battery and plug operated version.|
|Reliability||Reliable||Requires machine to rest regularly to prevent overheating|
|Oxygen purity||99.99% pure oxygen pressurised 250p||approx 88%-95% pure oxygen.|
Please note that above chart is for reference only.
- DO store your oxygen cylinder in well ventilated area and in an upright position.
- DO turn off your oxygen when you're not using; don't set the cannula or mask on the bed or chair even for a few minutes if the oxygen is turned on.
- DO be sure to monitor the oxygen volume; and notify early the supplier to refill with plenty time to spare.
- DON'T smoke while you're on oxygen
- DON'T use petroleum-based lubricants like vaseline, Blistex on chapped lips or nostrils or your hands
- DON'T have any flammable item nearby (Eg cleaning fluid, paint thinner, aerosol spray can.)
- DON't turn the tank on its side, as this can allow the liquid oxygen to leak out
- DON'T store your oxygen in an enclosed space (eg. closet or car trunk)
- DON'T change the flow rate from doctor's prescription. Check if unsure.
Extra safety tips when using concentrator
- DON'T ever use an extension cord to plug in your concentrator or plug anything else into the same outlet.
- DO keep the unit at least 6 inches away from the wall, curtains or anything else that might block the filter or prevent air circulation around it, this will also help avoid heat build up (Never cover the unit anything either)
- DO consider buying a backup generator in the event of power outages.
- DO consider having a standby oxygen cylinder in case of emergency.
Please consult your healthcare professional for the interpretation of result and diagnosis.
For product range, pls refer to https://ielder.asia/collections/oxygen-concentrator-tank