Constipation is a clinical diagnosis based on symptoms of incomplete elimination of stool, difficulty passing stool, or both. Some elderly typically experience other symptoms such as:
- hard stools
- abdominal bloating
- stomach pain
- abdominal distention
HOW CAN IT HAPPEN AMONG ELDERLY?
Constipation is associated with chronic disease processes (Parkinson disease, stroke, diabetes etc), medication use, and psychosocial issues (anxiety, depression).
HOW TO MANAGE FECAL IMPACTION PROBLEM?
Fecal impaction should be treated with:
- Fluid intake: increased fluid intake (cup of prune juice)
- Bowel training: practice scheduled toileting (during morning, when the bowel is more active, and 30 minutes after meals)
- Daily diet intake: increased dietary fiber intake (fiber-rich foods such as bran, fruits, vegetables, and nuts.)
- Physical exercise: routine exercise to improve overall fitness and relaxation breathing technique exercise
- Medication: laxatives if necessary